Filip Goovaerts grew up in Keerbergen and came in contact with golf at the age of 13. He was soon biten by the golfbug and astonished the Belgian golfworld by winning, as an unknown, the Belgian Boys Championship in 1986. This was the beginning of a succesful amateur career that earned him many victories. During 8 years he played at the highest amateur level both at home and abroad. Some highlights include playing the quarter-final against Lee Westwood in the British Amateur, making the "cut" at the Renault Belgian Open (European Tour event) and being the lowest hcp ranked amateur in Belgium.
In 1995, he says goodbye to amateur golf and follows the courses to become a Certified PGA Professional at the British PGA. At the same time he's asked by Waregem Golf Club Club to teach the the members under the wings of François Gabias. A fun and educational experience as Waregem Golf had a collaboration with Dick Harmon. Dick coached several great players like Fred Couples, Lanny Wadkins, Steve Elkington, and many others. And this collaboration gave them the opportunities to see and chat with this players. Filip continued to play tournaments and won the Belgian PGA Order of Merit (1999) and the Belgian PGA Championship (2007). Today you see Filip less at tournaments, but you see him more at seminars around the globe. His ambition to get better at teaching is as big as the ambition he had as an amateur golfer to ever want to be the best!
- Name: Filip Jan Goovaerts
- Date of birth: 20 juli 1968
- Residence: Schilde, België
- 1st golfclub: Keerbergen Golf Club
- Interest: Great golfcourses, nature, films, gadgets
Shortlist of career achievements - Amateur
- 1993 Won the Xedos Trophy at Royal Golf Club de Hainaut
- 1992 Won the William Lawson’s Cup at Padova Golf Club (Italy)
- 1992 Won the Challenge P. Huylebroeck at Keerbergen Golf Club, courserecord 65 in the 2nd round
- 1992 Best European Continental player in the British Amateur at Carnoustie (Schotland)
- 1992 Courserecord 65 Red Cross Open at Royal Ostend Golf Club
- 1992 National Foursomes Champion at Golf Club de L’Empereur
- 1990 Summer 1990, lowest ranked hcp in Belgium
- 1990 Won Belang van Limburg at Limburg Golf Club
- 1989 Won the Challenge Bénédictine at Royal Golf Club de Fagnes
- 1988 National Junior Champion at Royal Waterloo Golf Club
- 1986 National Boys Champion at Royal Latem Golf Club
Shortlist of career achievements - Professional
- 1996 Won the "Rookie of the Year" Award
- 1999 Won the Belgian PGA "Order of Merit"
- 2007 Won the Belgian PGA Championship
Filip is certified: